Saturday, February 16, 2008

Review of the Vancouver Symphony (WA) concert

One of the most challenging things that I get to do as a reviewer is to write a review in one hour. Because I write reviews for The Columbian newspaper, I attend the Saturday afternoon concerts of the Vancouver Symphony. The concerts start at 3 pm and typically finish a little after 5 pm. Today's concert had an encore, so it finished at 5:15 pm, and I didn't get home until 5:30. So, from 5:45 until 6:45, I madly write a critique of about 500 words. It's sort of like being in college all over again. The good thing is that it's done and over with quickly. The bad thing is that I might have left out something important, or I could've chosen a better slate of words to describe some aspect of the concert. It's sort of like a sports reporter, I suppose. You go to the game, and write up a summary as quickly as possible afterwards. Ok, enough of the blabbing. Here's a link to the review, which my editor at The Columbian has already posted.

Anyway, if you want to experience a rush, try writing a review in an hour!

No comments: