Saturday, June 5, 2010

On meeting John Wooden

Although this blog is dedicated to classical music, I have to tell about meeting the great basketball coach John Wooden, who died yesterday at the age of 99. During my first two years at Pacific Lutheran University, I played on the chess club and in my sophomore year went to a state regional chess tournament at Washington State University in Pullman. The UCLA mens basketball team happened to be in town, so my college roommate, Dick Harris (who was also on the chess team), and I went to the game in which we saw the Bruins thrash the Cougars. The next morning, Dick and I and another member of the chess club (I have forgotten his name) went to a breakfast spot that was attached to a motel. As we stepped into the restaurant, I immediately saw Bill Walton and other members of the UCLA team. They were standing around near a bar (that was closed) in separate part of the restaurant. My chess colleagues and I took a booth in the main eating area, and noticed that Wooden was talking to the WSU basketball coach George Raveling in a booth about ten feet from us. The chess friend (whose name I can't recall) said that his younger brother had an autograph collection of famous people, and he wanted Wooden's signature. But the fellow was too chicken to ask Wooden for it, because he would have to interrupt Wooden and Raveling's conversation. Dick didn't want to do it either. So, after some deliberation, I took it upon myself to get the autograph. One of us had a pen and I took a paper napkin with me. I quietly stood at the table where Wooden and Raveling were talking and, after a few seconds, they acknowledged my presence. I mumbled something about getting their autographs and placed the napkin and pen in front of them. They signed it without saying much of anything, but also without looking annoyed. I said thank you and returned to the booth and gave the napkin to my friend. He was ecstatic. We ate our breakfast, and watched as Wooden and Raveling departed. The rest of the day seemed brighter...

1 comment:

Lorin Wilkerson said...

There's a great article on Coach Wooden in the latest edition of Sports Illustrated--throughout his long life it seems he was known for being a gentleman and a class act all the way around.