Thursday, February 24, 2011

More scribblings

I write reviews of Portland Opera productions for Opera Magazine, and I just received the January issue (they are a little late in mailing this time around) which contains my review of the September 24 productions of Pagliacci and Carmina Burana. In that issue, Angela Meade got a rave review from Michael Kennedy for her performance in title role Mercandate's "Virginia."

For The Columbian newspaper, I wrote about the Vancouver Symphony's All-Russian Concert, a preview of concerts in February, and an article about the Vancouver Big Band concert.

I've also been working on a number of entries for the second edition of the Grove Dictionary of American Music (Oxford University Press). Actually, I've got 39 assignments. Almost half of them involve updating existing entries and the other half involve writing new entries. I just finished the pieces on Mark Applebaum and Mason Bates. I've also written articles about Robert Spano and Awadagin Pratt, and I've got more coming up like Yo-Yo Ma, Paul Neubauer, the Orion String Quartet, and Peter Oundjian. It's been really interesting to find out about these musicians and ensembles.

No comments: