Classical Up Close is bringing world class musicians to Portland neighborhoods with its annual weeklong series of free chamber music performances, where audiences are encouraged to sit onstage with the performers, use social media, ask questions, and applaud freely.
- Classical Up Close will take place between April 24th and May 3rd, 2015
- The festival centers around six informal, full-length concerts in various locations throughout Greater Portland, including Congregation Beth Israel, St. Mark’s Lutheran, and Lake Grove Presbyterian.
- Special guests include Pink Martini’s China Forbes, who will sing at Maranatha Church in North Portland on April 26th, 2015.
- In addition to full-length concerts are several “blitz” performances: 30-minute concerts in unlikely venues, meant to meet people where they live, work, and play. Blitz venues will include American Legion Post #134, Powell’s Books, Meals on Wheels, PDX Playdate, and Beaverton City Library.
- Two special performances for children and families will be held at Vancouver Community Library on May 2nd, 2015. More information can be found at www.fvrl.org
- Tony Starlight’s Showroom will be hosting a Classical Up Close benefit concert on April 20th at 7:30pm. Ticket information can be found at www.tonystarlight.com
- New this year, All Classical Radio has agreed to be the official media sponsor of Classical Up Close. Jack Allen, President and CEO of All Classical Portland, writes:
“We are thrilled to become the official media sponsor of Classical Up Close, with whom we share a goal of breaking down traditional barriers to the appreciation and enjoyment of classical music, and building cultural vitality and vibrancy for our community.”
Classical Up Close was founded in 2013 by a group of Oregon Symphony musicians seeking to celebrate and strengthen their community relationships, thank the symphony’s many supporters, and make new friends, both for the symphony and for classical music.
More information, including concert and blitz schedule, can be found at: www.classicalupclose.com