Monday, January 2, 2017

Choir soprano refuses to sing for Trump

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir will sing a the inauguration of Donald Trump on January 20th, but the famed chorus will be without one of its sopranos, Jan Chamberlin, who resigned from the group. As reported in this Washington Post article, Chamberlin wrote in a Facebook post that by “singing for this man” the choir would appear to be “endorsing” tyranny and fascism, and its image would be “severely damaged.”  That's a gutsy statement and one that I applaud wholeheartedly. I sing with the Bach Cantata Choir, and if it had been invited to sing for the inauguration, I am pretty sure that the entire choir would have refused. As Chamberlin stated, “I only know I could never ‘throw roses to Hitler.’ ”“And I certainly could never sing for him.”

No comments: