I'm one of 23 journalists who have been selected to attend the 2008 NEA Arts Journalism Institute at Columbia University in New York City. From November 8th to the 18th, I'll be attending lectures and concerts and doing some writing, which will be critiqued by faculty members of the institute.
I'm really salivating over the performances that we will attend, including
* Valery Gergiev conducts the Kirov Orchestra at Lincoln Center
* Metropolitan Opera production of Berlioz's The Damnation of Faust, directed by Robert Lepage
* Israel Philharmonic performs Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel
* Metropolitan Opera New York premiere of John Adams' Doctor Atomic
* Bernstein festival performance at Carnegie Hall featuring the New York Philharmonic conducted by incoming music director Alan Gilbert
* Jeremy Denk recital at Zankel Hall (Carnegie Hall)
Past fellows from Portland have been Grant Menzies, Angela Allen, Brett Campbell, and Stephen Marc Beaudoin.
Here's a link to the NEA press release about the institute. I'm really looking forward to this experience and learning more about classical music.